Friday, September 18, 2009

my teacher is an old pervert



To acquire a new language is difficult. I waver between casually enjoying the process and declaring proclamations such as "I will NOT speak English in this country any more! Only Spanish, I must learn this language". And then I carry my little dictionarrio around and try to be all studious and eventually realize this approach is not for me. I am on the look out for a new Spanish teacher to supplement my lessons through Bueno, entonces...for as great as the program is, I still need guided practice. I had an excellent teacher in theory until he tried to go through a lesson on the names of the body parts in Spanish by touching me...not that that hasn't been one of my most dreamt of fantasies, it is just that it always features a drop dead gorgeous Spanish teacher followed by a lesson of the names of all the places in the house "mesa", "cama", "douche". Well, I am done with male teachers, getting a female and sidestepping the whole problem. 
I thought my handle on the verb "to be" had gotten pretty good, but the reality is that it is still confusing. I realized this when lesson 19 went back and addressed "ser" and "estar". I completely get the concept but these words are used so much in conversation I don't even realize I am using them incorrectly. It is great to see the color coding the way they do it on the program because you see it in context and then it locks that image into your head for later use. This is also true for all of the masculine and feminine adjectives, the color coding is helping me to access it for later use in my vocabulary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment