Tuesday, September 1, 2009

La Boca

I am living now in the beautiful barrio of La Boca Buenos Aires with a group of artists and musicians in a great home with a ton of art space. I am super tired today so this blog might be kinda short, been moving all day and setting up my art space, I will post photos soon, it is AMAZING! Everyone here speaks spanish (duh...I am in BsAs - but still, it is easy to make English speaking friends here) so I think this is really going to kick my spanish into high gear...or I am going to feel like quite the fool. Nothing like learning a language and actually have to use it to make you feel like a complete idiot. It is very humbling. Luckily the men here find it charming (I could sit here mute and they would find it charming I think...but if in doubt I just sing em a song on the guitar and ask for help with my spanish...works for me) I do not know HOW guys meet these Argentine women with poor language skills. The ladies here are a tough breed, having had to deal with the Argie guys for so many years, they have a real cold front sometimes (I know I am stereotyping - forgive me). I am a scientist and I tend to make broad statements based on the "observational data" I have collected and statistically grouped.
speaking of math...numbers are very hard for me in spanish and I don't ever study them. I guess that reflects on my general attitude toward money. It has never been a problem for me (not a trust fund kid) it just seems to come into my life when I need it, and disappear somewhere along the way...ANYways, learning numbers in spanish have never been too easy for me so I do appreciate the lessons in Bueno, entonces... regarding lesson 6, instruction was good BUT I found it boring. I am not sure if my brain was just too tired to deal with the lesson or what, but it was not my favorite. We will see how tomorrow goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment