Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The "magic" awards

I do not watch much TV, in fact I have not owned one in around 10 years. But there are some new shows out there that re define sitcom for me. My three favorite are; Arrested Development, The Office, and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Now I mention these in order to better describe the event I went to last night called "The annual Magic Awards". One of my favorite characters from Arrested Development is called "Job", and he is such a fool. He is a professional magician and you get these peaks into the twisted land of cheesy preforming magicians. Well, I just experienced that last night, in the real sense, here in Argentina. I went to the show because I had a friend doing a dance performance there and did not know it was "the MAGIC awards". The whole production was so overwhelmingly cheesy I could not stifle my laughter at times. A completely other world. The presentation went on in Spanish - of course - and I did OK following the general idea. It is hard to just listen to the words and not be close enough to read the eyes and hand gestures. So much of language learning is inferring through the gestures. This is why Bueno, entonces...is such a great program. You get to listen to the language, but more importantly watch the expressions and see pictures associated with the lessons. All of this serves to better cement the vocabulary and cadence of the language into your brain. Well, this day is lovely so I am off!

No comments:

Post a Comment