Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Una casa de artistas!

I am going to be living in a BEAUTIFUL collective house of artists! It is called Entrey Arte and it is in the beautiful barrio La Boca, in Buenos Aires. La Boca is amazingly lovely yet super sketch at night. I am living in the area near the artists and street performers, so during the day, everything is fine. But I will not be parading down the street in my "goin out" clothes, during the nighttime hours. This complicates my life abit...as I am definitely living the starving artist life, taking taxis everywhere to go out on the weekends is going to get pricey. During the day it will be all about the collectivos (buses), but the house is perfect. Check it out: Entreyarte.blogspot.com
If you scroll down the aforementioned site they have a tour of the house, the classes, gallery/show room space, and studio space. Everyone there speaks spanish so it will be a grand opportunity to practice all the spanish I have been learning through Bueno, entonces.... My third lesson has gone well, they  are really good at including the culture here in Buenos Aires. I have lived in the city for almost 4 months, and have gotten a real feel for the Porteno vibe. I love that they bring up the lack of change (money and coins) in the city. It is a ridiculous problem. I can't tell you how many times I have had to barter at the fruit stand to make the price work: "OK, no tengo monedas, entoneces...dos mas manzanas y una banana?" or, "No tienes cambio? Buneos, quiero dos cervasas." Then everyone is happy I guess (look at me using all my spanish I have been learning!) Problem is my consumption rate is going up, up, up. 
Numbers in Spanish have always been a problem for me but I like the way they address them in the 3rd spanish lesson. Dave is so ridiculous...in true style he asks Jimena if she likes 69. The sexuality of the program makes watching the lessons actually feel like an entertaining sitcom that helps you to learn. OK, I will share a secrete...I am abit embarrassed about it though...I have bought an entire series of Sex and the City" (Sexo y la ciudad) in Spanish to learn conversation while being entertained. I tried with "The Simpsons" but the cartoon voices are really hard to understand. My spanish learning in this country is so spicy it is no wonder I get myself in all this trouble...porque no? Solo tengo una vida! Check out some of Dave's absurd daydreamings in lesson 3:

No comments:

Post a Comment