Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Perfect Day!

The weather is ridiculous right now...probably around 70 degrees...amazing. When I finish my "strenuous" tasks of picking up the laundry (2 loads washed, ironed, folded all for 5 dollars!!), make something delicious to eat, begin the process of boxing up my room to move, and finish my lessons for Bueno, entonces..., I am going to treat myself to mimosas in a bikini. I have a beautiful patio full of plants and plenty of space to stretch out and paint, play guitar, and read in the sun...while sipping back bubbly decadence. Ah, life is good!  
I watched lesson 2 of my spanish learning program, and I just can't say enough how well done this spanish program is. If I were to write a program to help others learn spanish it would be very similar to this. I used to teach Physiology to high school students in the east oakland hood...really intense, through a program called "oakland teaching fellows". One of my biggest concerns (beside staying alive, not getting my car stolen, or robbed) was to find a way to connect the material to the students interests and actually teach something. I don't like wasting time, mine or that of anyone else. Here I was, Berkeley educated, guitar playing (dont say the hippy word...I am not a hippy dammit - but definitely not versed in the Bay area hip hop scene) trying to come in to this other world and humbly yet with passion and entertainment value, teach something. How to connect the lessons? I hit upon the universal truth: Everyone is interested in sex. There it is. I found that by connecting every lesson to sex, drugs, or "disgusting" bodily processes (easy in a biology course), my class was full of laughter and non stop hands in the air and questions. 
This spanish program is excellent because it has an undercurrent of sexuality that makes it hilarious, interesting, and entertaining. You remember what they teach. Here is another clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment